Beardslee Nursery was founded by Charles Henry
Beardslee and Coletta Hurley Beardslee. The two
met at Wayside Nursery where they both were
employed. Charlie (Charles) was the field foreman
while Coletta was the secretary. While working at
Wayside, Charlie would purchase and cut flowers out
of the field and haul them to the Cleveland market
where he would sell them to local florists. That led to
Charlie and Coletta's first business, Califloral.
Charlie partnered with a man in California where he
would ship cut flowers to be distributed to florists.
Charlie and Coletta started Beardslee Nursery in
1947, renting a field on Oak Street in Painesville,
Ohio. Two years later they purchased the company's
current location on Blackmore Road in Perry, Ohio.
The nursery specialized in field grown, bare root
perennials. Charlie later rented a few former Storris
and Harrison greenhouses from Bob Martin where
he started to containerize groundcovers and liners.
In 1970 Jack (John) Beardslee, Charlie's son
began full time as second generation in the family
business. Jack and Charlie were the founder of
Golden Curls Willow; Salix matsudana tortuosa
'Golden Curls'. They founded and marketed this new
introduction to the trade. Today Golden Curls
Willow is the most popular contorted willow used by
florist worldwide. Together they introduced the
common names to many other plants in the trade
such as: Corkscrew willow, Artic Blue-leaf Willow,
Pink French Pussy Willow, Java Red Weigelia, and
Jade River Juniper.
Nick Moretti, the founder of Moretti Nursery, and
Charlie were innovators in many aspects of modern
day nurseries. The two engineered their own
automated mist systems for vegetative propagation.
They also constructed some of the first modern day
hoop houses in the county. They created a jig for
bending pipe into a quonset hut shape, which was
used to build many local nurseries.
All rights reserved.
Beardslee Nursery, LLC
3451 Blackmore Road